Advisory and judging roles
Paul advises a variety of businesses, organisations and industry groups, either in a non-executive director or on a retained agreement. His expertise is called upon when bestowing national awards for property and commercial developments.
Sharing his expertise and knowledge helps to raise standards and the performance, be that of individual companies and organisations, or industry as a whole. Below are some of Paul's associations, present and past.
External advisory roles
- Non-executive Director for Redmond Group Ltd. Paul is helping to grow this mechanical and plumbing business working on prestigious high value projects in the south east of England.
- Vovo Construction Equipment UK - specialist advice with the UK infrastructure market and requirements around carbon and social value.
- Cory Riverside Energy - helping the company navigate the London policies that drive energy production, waste management, the circular economy and low carbon outcomes. Paul provides specialist support to new business development, which saw them win a new nine-year contract with the London Borough of Hamlets.
- London Sustainable Development Commissioner (appointed by the Mayor of London in 2009, ongoing)
- includes Chair of LSDC’s Quality of Life Indicators Group; member of Greater London Authority’s Carbon Measurement Steering Group (see PAS 2070); and Chair of London’s ‘Access to Nature for children’ Steering Group; member of circular economy working and 'clean tech' groups; and LSDC representative in the visioning for Old Oak Common and Park Royal development. To read about the Commission click here ;
- Member of Green Construction Board's Infrastructure Working Group (2013 - ongoing) To read more about this work please click here;
- Policy Commissioner with University of Birmingham Future of Urban Living Commission: Chaired by Lord Shipley (2012-14) To read about the research project click here;
- Member of Heathrow Sustainability Leadership Panel, chaired by their CEO (2013-16);
- Sustainability advisory board member to British Standards Institute (2016 - ongoing);
- Chair, BRE & Constructing Excellence Sustainability Working Group (2010 – ongoing) to learn about this work please click here;
- Member of Technical Advisory Panel PAS 2080: Measurement and management of infrastructure carbon. British Standard Institute, Green Construction Board (2015-16);
- Founding and Advisory Member of GACSO and the Institute of Environment Management and Assessment (IEMA). (2010 - ongoing)
The Global Association for Corporate Sustainability Officers was set up in 2010 by myself and others who believe that sustainability as a business driver has more relevance than CSR. We also believe that there is a need to create a safe space to share, develop and even codify the role of the sustainability professional. In March 2014 GACSO joined forces with the IEMA to widen the scope and power base of both organisations (IEMA website). I am a chartered environmentalist and MIEMA.
- Advisory member of The Prince’s Trust Built Environment Leadership Group (2014 - 16);
- Member of Technical Advisory Panel of PAS 2070: Measurement of city level carbon emissions. British Standard Institute. (2013-14) Click here for the award winning London case study;
- Adviser to board director of Ocado plc, assisting in the development of a new corporate responsibility programme (2013);
- Sustainable Built Environment in Vietnam, part of a UKTI and Vietnam British Council trade delegation advising Vietnamese government (2013);
- Chair of Green Construction Board’s Greening the Industry Carbon Group (2010-2013) To read more about the GCB please click here;
- Contributing advisor, KPMG Future State 2030: the global megatrends shaping governments. Mowatt Centre, University of Toronto. Report published 2013 To learn about this publication please click here;
- WWF 50th Anniversary Communications Steering Group (2012-2013);
- Member of the UK Government’s Innovation and Growth Team: UK government Department of Business, Innovation and Skills sponsored working group to prepare a low carbon route map for the construction industry chaired by the UK Government’s Chief Construction Advisor (2009-2010);
- CBI Low carbon working group, secretariat to Chair (2009-2010):
- Deputy Chair of Strategic Forum for Construction Waste group (an umbrella group of government, WRAP and the supply chain). Led the process of agreeing the methodology and measuring waste arising across England and Wales, developing actions to halve construction waste to landfill (2008-2009);
- CBI Environmental Committee member working on policy for a range of environmental issues, including climate change, energy, and hazardous waste (2009-2010).
RECENT JUDGING ROLES
Paul has judged numerous awards for sustainable development and the built environment on behalf of different organisations over the years. Below are a selection of recent judging roles.
- Architects Journal - Retrofit awards (2010 - 15);
- Construction News - Sustainable company of the year award (2010 - 2013) and specialist awards (2012 - 2014);
- Sustain Magazine - annual awards (2008 - 2013) and
- London Build Expo - Sustainable construction awards (2016)